About Alexandra Verge
Hi there, Im Alex. I started thinking about naturopathic medicine as a career at an early age, when debilitating sports-related pain was resolved by a kind and gentle naturopath who, along with our family doctor, made up my familys health team. Throughout high school and university, I kept coming back to the idea (when I wasnt considering veterinarian medicine and dietetics). Eventually, a growing interest in nutritionfurthered by my University of Guelph degree in Nutritional Sciencesand a long-standing respect for naturopathic care led me to this fulfilling career choice.
Over the years, through my general practice, Ive had the honour of supporting people from all walks of life on their journey to better health. More recently, Ive been spending increasing amounts of time with those interested in healthy aging. Cardiovascular disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, arthritis, generational stresses, cancer and dementia are some of the issues we can face as we age. My goal is to help people understand their current state of health, identify and manage risk factors, and develop strategies to deal with present concerns and improve future ones.
I have made Guelph my home for over 20 years now, and been part of the naturopathic community for more than half that time. Im committed to doing my part in improving the health of our community.
In an ongoing effort to practice what I preach, I enjoy hiking, reading, cooking, supporting local farmers and travelling. Achieving balance in health and life is a process; it can take time and patience, but is always worth the challenge.
Im a graduate of the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine, registered to practice in Ontario, and a proud professional member of both provincial and federal associations. Im fluent in English and French.
Were probably a good fit if:
- you think you should feel better than you do
- youre worried about what your family medical history means for you
- you wish you could spend more time discussing your health concerns and medical test results
- youre looking for concrete steps to improve your health now and decrease your future risks
- you realize your current strategies arent working and youre looking for new ones
- youve been told that your situation isnt bad enough to require action at this stage
- you dont believe that the reason for how youre feeling is just because youre getting older
If any of these points resonate with you, feel free to contact the clinic. It will be our pleasure to answer any questions you might have or to set up an appointment.
All my best,
Check out my feature in the January 7th, 2014 issue of the Guelph Tribune!